Third Party Claims

What is the Road Accident Fund?

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) automatically covers all users of South African roads, whether they are South African citizens or foreign nationals, in the event that they should sustain injuries, or pass away, in an accident involving a motor vehicle within South African borders.

The nature of the cover is two folds – it provides indemnity insurance to the person/s at fault in the accident, as well as personal injury and death insurance to victims of motor vehicle accidents and their families.

The Road Accident Fund is effectively a personal insurance provider for every person travelling on South African roads, thus protecting them and their loved ones in case they are injured, or if a breadwinner passes away, in a motor vehicle accident.

Please take care:

We care about our clients, their families and the pain and suffering that they have been through. Therefore, we urge the public to be wary of disreputable attorneys who claim to be experts in Third Party (RAF) Claims.

At Kruger & Pottinger Attorneys, we are all too often met with the frustration and heartache of clients who consulted less reputable firms or who approached the Road Accident Fund directly, resulting in settlements that are way below par, or being overcharged for services rendered.

Do I have a claim against the the Road Accident Fund?

The criteria to be able to submit a claim against the Road Accident is simple and clear. In order to claim, you need to be able to prove that the accident was not entirely your fault.

You may claim if you:

  • Were injured as a passenger in a private motor vehicle
  • Were injured as a taxi passenger
  • Were injured as a pedestrian
  • Were injured as a cyclist or motorcyclist
  • Were the innocent driver
  • Have a minor child that was injured in the accident
  • Lost a breadwinner for your family in the accident

You may NOT claim if:

  • You were not injured
  • The family’s breadwinner was not killed
  • The accident was not anyone’s fault
  • You were the sole cause of the collision

Why is it better to use an attorney to help you claim?

While any individual may submit a claim directly to the Road Accident Fund, a reputable and dedicated firm like Kruger & Pottinger Attorneys is well-versed in these types of matters and puts its expertise to use with your best interests at heart.

We pledge to work tirelessly to ensure that your needs, as well as those of your family, are met and that your claim is handled justly in terms of the Road Accident Fund Act.

Kruger & Pottinger Attorneys is wholeheartedly committed to ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injury or loss.

What are the costs involved?

Kruger & Pottinger Attorneys know and understand that most people don’t have large amounts of funds laying around to pay attorneys to lodge a claim against the Road Accident Fund. Therefore, we will proceed with our clients’ claims on a contingency fee basis.

This means that we will submit your claim and carry the necessary expenses ourselves, while only claiming a fee from the pay out of your finalised claim. This type of fee agreement is perfectly legal and is regulated by the Contingency Fee act for your protection and peace of mind that you won’t be overcharged.

I’m not sure if I have a claim and I don’t want to pay a consultation fee, only to find out that I don’t

Kruger & Pottinger Attorneys are one step ahead of you. Anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident are welcome to contact us, via the details on this website, to arrange a free consultation during which one of our friendly and experienced attorneys will discuss whether or not you qualify for compensation.